Saturday, June 1, 2013

My 7- Day Juice Cleanse!


I've been telling myself since Christmas break that I'm going to do a juice cleanse to "calibrate" my body, in a way. I'm on day 3 right now and I've got to say that this is harder than I'd imagined. The level of hunger I felt on day 1 was absolutely DREADFUL...then I made the mistake of eating some Greek yogurt thinking that that may ease my hunger. No. It just made me nauseous. Day 1 was full of nausea, headaches, dizziness all combined with being unexplainably tired. I took a nap and woke up feeling like I had the world's worst hangover...ugh. It was terrible, but at that moment I had realized that this cleanse is not for the weak spirited. Althogh, I think that the fact that I was out in the sun for 70% of the day didn't really help my case, either. So if it's your first day juicing,  make sure you either stay inside or limit your sun exposure to maybe 30 mins- an hour. 

Now, I haven't gone totally cold turkey off of food; I still eat about 3 solid fruits a day plus a few nuts (peanuts, sunflower seeds) to give myself some fats. What I eat are the fruits/veg that are too soft to get a good amount of juice out of like bananas, strawberries, mangoes, spinach and peaches. I've also been drinking a lot of water because even though you're drinking juice all day, you still need to remain hydrated. 

Why am I doing this? 
Because....who DOESN'T need a cleanse? LOL. 
I feel as though I do so much to try and make/keep myself healthy but why not take another  step and do a cleanse? I'm flushing out my system and it's almost acting like a reset button..giving my body the chance to heal from the inside, out. Ridding me of toxins I may have collected that haven't been disposed of and basically allowing my body to balance itself, naturally. It's kind of like calibrating a ruler or thermometer. 
I mean, come on. Who doesn't want to be calibrated? =)

Day 1 my measurements were:
Bust: 35"
Waist: 27"
Hips: 39"
Weight: 143.7
Day 1

Today my measurements are:
Bust: 34 1/2"
Waist 26 1/2"
Hips 38 1/2"
Weight: 141.5

So I lost half of an inch and some water weight that I had from my monthly. No biggie. lol



As for my juices....
 I just call my juices by color (not creative)..and if I have two of the same color, I just call it by whatever fruit/veg is prominent (still not creative). lol 
The juices I've made aren't unbearable, but if you're not used to eating fresh produce, it would probably be nasty to you. lol 
 
The only juices I have a problem with are the Green juice and my Cucumber Lemon juice.
<--The Green juice tastes....well.....green. lmao. My mom makes it because she knows the recipe by heart, but I know it's broccoli, spinach, celery, green apple, and a green pepper.....so i don't think it gets more green than that. lol
And the Cucumber Lemon, although I thought it'd be refreshing, is more lemon-y than I'd hoped..which isn't a good thing. lol -->


My Orange, Pineapple and Strawberry juices are my favorites. These are what I typically drink for either lunch, mid-afternoon snack, or "dessert" because they are sweet. The Red juice is more of a savory sweet because it contains beet, so I typically drink that for either lunch or dinner. So far, my regimen is to drink  every juice 1-2x per day, depending on how hungry I feel, as well as a bottle of water in the mean time in between time...
This regimen is working out pretty good for me. I still feel hungry, of course, but I know how to curb it now which is good.


Orange Juice
2 Oranges, peeled
1 Granny smith apple
1 Fuji apple 
1 Parsnip, top and bottom cut off
9 Carrots, top and bottom cut off
A 1 inch length piece of Ginger

 



Red Juice
3 Carrots
3 Celery stalks
1 Orange
2 Peaches, pitted
1 Beet, peeled





Strawberry Juice
20 Strawberries, tops cut off
2 C. Red Grapes
1 Lemon, peeled
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Fuji Apple
1 Cucumber


Cucumber Lemon Juice
1 Cucumber
2 Lemons, peeled
1/2 inch piece of Ginger
 
Pineapple Juice
1 Pineapple, top and bottom removed, and sliced in 6
1 Mango, seeded


I just put everything down in the juicer and it basically does all of the work for me. 
I don't generally peel anything unless it has a thick peel like anything citrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc). 
I soak all of my vegetables in a 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water bath for an hour, let them air dry and either put them in the fridge or leave them out. So all of my fruits/veg are clean before I juice them cause...I don't play that. LOL

If you DO decide that you want to do this, PLEASE be careful. 
1.You MUST stay hydrated- drink about your 8 cups of water per day
2. Thoroughly wash ALL of your fruits and vegetables. 
3. Refrigerate ALL of your juices, don't let them sit for more than 1-2 days
4. Clean/ Sanitize your juicer THOROUGHLY between uses ( I do not recommend putting the parts through the dishwasher.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?? =D