Friday, September 14, 2012

Yum Yums! : Spinach Provolone Mini Frittatas

Okay, so these babies are my pride and joy. Before I  even got back to school I told myself, 
"Self...we're gonna make mini frittatas."
What I did was wake up at the butt crack of dawn since I had no time the previous night, made them, popped them in the oven, took my shower, took them out of the oven, let them cool, ate two, contemplated on whether I was gonna eat three, put the remaining 4 in a Tupperware container, uncovered, and put them in the fridge to later be frozen so I could have them for the rest of the week..or into the next week. 
I RECOMMEND making this Sunday so that you have them for the rest of the week. You can freeze them, or just leave them in the fridge if you don't think they'll last that long and microwave them on your way out or while you're getting ready. There's really nothing to it, I mean.. I did it! And it was sooo helpful and effective!

Making these is exactly the same process as making regular frittatas...you just broil them in a muffin/cupcake pan instead of a skillet! 
Again, you can put just about ANYTHING in them..mines are spinach (typical) & provolone.
This entire recipe cost me about  $2.30
Yes, I costed out the recipe for yall...you're welcome. =)
When I went to the grocery store, I ONLY got what was on sale..I had no coupons this time which was a BUST. I spent $44, but I got a decent amount of stuff!

Anyway..


For this recipe I did not use the stove, AT ALL. 
I used my handy dandy coffee/griddle/toaster oven...
(I SO plan on callin it a CoDiddlEr from now on...FYI) 
Here it goes!

Spinach Provolone Mini Frittatas
Yields: 6, Serves: 3-6

 Ingredients:
4 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Scallion, finely chopped
1/2 Onion, minced
1/4 tsp Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
1/4 Pack Frozen Spinach 
1/2 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 Tbsp Butter, Unsalted + 1/2 tsp
4 Eggs, Beaten 
1 oz 2% Milk 
1 Slice Provolone Cheese, rough chop about 1/2"
Salt and pepper to taste

Tools:
Muffin pan
Knife
Cutting Board
Spatula or Wooden Spoon
Preheat Oven to 350 F
Saute pan, if you don't have a CoDiddlEr, like me ;)
  1.  Preheat your CoDiddlEr/ Griddle/ Saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp of the butter, allow it to melt, and then add your garlic, scallions, onions, thyme, spinach and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions are translucent.
  2. Meanwhile, using the remaining 1/2tsp of butter, grease your muffin pan using either your fingers, a brush, or a paper towel.
  3. Spoon equal amounts of the spinach mixture into each muffin cup and set aside.
  4. Pool (crack) the eggs into a small bowl add milk, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and beat together. Stir in the pieces of provolone, saving 6 pieces to top the frittatas with.
  5. Either pour or spoon equal amounts of the egg mixture into each muffin cup. Using a spoon, stir so that the egg is fully incorporated into the spinach mixture and top w/ a piece of provolone.
  6. Put into oven and bake at 350 F 15-20 mins, or until egg has fully cooked. 

HAPPY EATING! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?? =D