Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yum Yums: 20 Minute Baked Tilapia


I got a whole bag of frozen Tilapia fillets for freakin $10!! SCORE!
 I was so happy when I saw that they were on sale cause they're usually $15 -__- and Lord knows that I needed some fish in my life. I can only take but so much of beef & chicken...

The one thing that I love about Tilapia is that it's versatile. You can fry it, bake it, steam it, poach it...the possibilities are limitless. The only thing I've done with it so far is bake it and this is something that my grandmother does ALL of the time, so kudos to her for this post!! When I made this the first time, I DEMOLISHED that poor fish...I couldn't believe how good it was! It was actually better than my grandmother's (but you better not tell her I said that. lmao)!
I kind of modified her version cause she usually puts tomatoes and a few other things on it, but it still came out really good! What I love about this recipe is that it's so quick and easy, AND you can eat the vegetables you used in the foil w/ the fish. 
Here it goes!

Baked Tilapia
Serves: 1
Prep time: 5 mins   
Cook time: 20 mins
Preheat oven- 350F

1 Tilapia fillet
1/4 of an Onion, thinly sliced
2 cl Garlic, smashed, peeled, and cut in half
2 Sprigs of Thyme
2 Sprigs of Parsley
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt 
1 Tbsp Veg or Olive Oil
Lemon wedge/lemon juice (optional)

I used onions I already had diced up though..lol
  1. Get a piece of foil that will be large enough to wrap the fillet in, about the length of a standard sized reading book (I used Reynold's Wrappers)
  2. Place the onion slices down first, spreading them out so that they are about the same length of the fillet. place the garlic on top of the onion. Feel free to sprinkle a little bit of the salt on the onions and garlic if you wish (optional).
  3. Place the fillet on top of the garlic and onions and season w/ Salt, Cayenne and Italian seasoning. Make sure the entire top of the fillet is fully seasoned. 
  4. Place the sprigs of thyme and parsley on top and drizzle w/ oil. Squeezing some lemon juice over the fillet can also be done, but is optional.
  5. Wrap the foil over the fish so that it is fully covered and no steam can escape. Place in a cake pan or on a small cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, or until fish is opaque(white) and flaky.
  6. Remove from oven and discard thyme and parsley sprigs before eating.
I roasted some carrots w/ mines

HAPPY EATING!!
=D

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?? =D