Friday, June 8, 2012

Yum Yums: Banana Fritters Pictorial!

This recipe is for the ones who leave bananas there to rot cause they think they've gone bad cause they're all brown and stuff...yeah. This recipe is for you. I had these two bananas left over that I didn't use for the banana cake I made the other day, and they were just sitting there gettin all brown and sad so I decided to take them and make fritters!
I must warn you, I'm not really a "measurer"..I kinda just go off of my eye. I pretty much know this by heart because my grandma use to make them all the time...BUT I do have a recipe for you guys to follow so, HERE WE GO!

What you'll need :
  • 2-3 Bananas
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/2 C. Sugar *I used cane sugar but regular sugar should be just fine*
  • 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1 egg *optional*
  • 3 C. Veg oil for frying
 
Tools Needed
  • Deep pan
  • Fork
  • Spoon
  • Bowl
  • Measuring spoons
  • Measuring Cups
  • Slotted spoon
  • A plate w/ paper towels or a brown paper bag for draining.





 Directions:

 First, you want to heat the oil over medium-high heat. You want the oil to reach at least 325 - 350degrees F. for the fritters to fry properly..

Next, you want to peel your bananas and place them in the bowl. Now, at this point, I like to just add everything but the flour and baking powder before I mash them to incorporate more flavor...

...take fork and mash until no large pieces are left.

Then you want to add the baking powder and stir in...

...and lastly the flour. I add the flour a lil bit at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.









I like it to be thick enough to slide off the fork, but isn't runny. It needs to be the consistency of..oatmeal.
See how it sticks to the fork?
Next, take a considerable amount of the mixture into your spoon, about 3/4 of the way full...

...hold the spoon directly over the heat and let the mixture slide off the spoon into the oil.
Let it fry for about 1 minute to set and then, using your slotted spoon, scrape the bottom of the fritter so that it's not stuck to the bottom of the pan. Let it fry for another 2-3 minutes.

 
Using your slotted spoon, kinda lift the fritter and peek at the bottom to see if it's golden brown. If it is, flip it over. If not, let it fry a lil bit longer but make sure you don't burn it.
This is the color you're lookin for...
 Once the other side is brown as well, you want to take your slotted spoon, remove the fritter, and place it on your paper towels to drain.








 We have a lot of paper bags lying around from Shoprite and the Chinese food store, so I like to use them to help sop up the oil when I'm frying foods. 

I tear it in half and place the top half into the bottom of the bag, and line it with a few napkins and/or paper towels.
It's simple AND cheap. Another thing I use is news paper w/ a couple paper towels on top.

Now, some people like to dust the fritters with powdered sugar, but they don't usually last long enough around here to require all of that. lol 

The only thing left to do now is DIG IN! *once they've cooled, of course*

ENJOY!
=D

No comments:

Post a Comment

What'd you think?? =D