So, I went to the produce store and saw that they had coconuts for $1 and OF COURSE I had to buy one! I think the most challenging thing about this whole operation was removing the meat from the shell, but other than that the process was fairly simple.
- Crack the coconut and reserve the water from the coconut in a bowl.
- Strain the water through a cheesecloth to remove any shell fragments and put water in blender.
- Remove all the meat you can from the shell and rinse it off to remove any more shell fragments. you don't want any shell (brown stuff) left on the meat (white stuff)
- Place all the meat into the blender and blend on low speed for 1 min and then at top speed for 3 mins.
- (OPTIONAL: Add about 2 C. warm water to mixture as it's blending to thin it out)
- Take a cheesecloth and spread over the top of a very large bowl.
- Pour mixture onto cheesecloth slowly, ensuring that no meat gets into the milk. Wring out the milk from the mixture and store in a sanitized bottle/jar.
- Let the mixture cool FULLY before placing the lid/cap on.
|It felt like powder...and had NO flavor.|
|Coconut fragments (left), Coconut milk (right)|
TADA!!!Coconut milk at your fingertips!
The coconut fragments that were left were very powdery and tasteless. I had the brilliant idea to try and toast them...but that didn't do anything. -__- The milk lasted me longer than i had expected..about two weeks to be exact. I drank it, i used it on my cereal, I used it in some curry, I even used the fat solids that rise to the top for a deep conditioner! *sighs* so many uses...so little time. ;)
- Aids in Weightloss
- Immune System Health
- Helps to prevent Heart Disease
- Healthy Skin and Hair
More details here.
So, OPERATION COCONUT MILK = success!!