Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Yum Yums: Quick and Easy Veggie Fritatta


One of my best friends and my niece were staying at my house and I was running out of breakfast ideas, FAST. I had just gone produce shopping the day before so my fridge was STOCKED with vegetables for me to use. We had a dozen and a half carton of eggs and some cheese, so I decided to make a fritatta! Now, I've never made a fritatta...but I DO believe that this came out freakin AMAZING. I honestly wished that I had made another one.

 For this recipe, you don't HAVE to use fresh vegetables. I know how difficult it is to find produce at reasonable prices, ESPECIALLY when you're on a budget. Frozen vegetables will do just fine, but one thing I'll recommend is after sauteing is to pour out any extra liquid they may extract. 
You can use anything you want in your fritatta, the possibilities are practically ENDLESS.
Don't get TOO crazy w/ the creativity and start throwin uncooked rice and oatmeal and stuff in there cause uhhhh...ew.

One thing I was thinking about, for us busy [college] folk, would be to make this sometime on Sunday, let it cool, cut it and place it in either individual Ziplocs or small Tupperware containers and freezing them so that when you're in a rush, or on the go in the morning, you can just heat up a slice in the microwave and be on your way!


Veggie Fritatta
Serves 3-6
Prep Time: 10-15 mins
Cook Time: 10-15 mins

1/4 of a large Onion, small dice
4 cloves of Garlic, minced
3 c. Fresh Spinach, washed, sauteed and chopped
2 c. Fresh Broccoli Florets, washed and blanched
1 Red Bell Pepper, small dice
2 Fresh Basil Leaves, chiffonade
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
2 tbsp Canola Oil
5 Eggs, beaten 
1/2 tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
3 slices of tomato
1/2 c. shredded Monterey Jack Cheese

Preheat broiler on High

  1. Heat a medium sized iron cast skillet over medium heat, add oil. Add vegetables and red pepper flakes and saute' until broccoli is fully cooked.
  2. Add the cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to your eggs and whisk until fully incorporated. Add eggs to the skillet and allow it to cook for about 2 mins, or until it is halfway done.
  3. Place the tomato slices on top, and then sprinkle the cheese over the entire fritatta.
  4. Place fritatta in the oven and bake until cheese is melted.
  5. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
*IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BROIL SETTING IN YOUR OVEN: Right after you place your eggs in the pan, add the tomatoes and cheese and bake in the oven at 350 F for 5 mins, or until egg is cooked.

HAPPY EATING! =D







2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Have you thought about submitting it to iCookbook's Food Blogger Recipe Contest? The app is currently looking to make one food blogger famous with a recipe contest that will promote the cook and their blog with their own recipe pack inside the app! Check it out at www.facebook.com/icookbook!

    ReplyDelete

What'd you think?? =D